Introduction to PR
This half-day course focuses on the interaction between PR and IR. You will learn how PR and IR can best work together on a day-to-day basis as well as during crisis situations, and will investigate the impact of media stories on company valuation. The course will also look at the regulations around announcements, analyst and investor engagement with the media and other practical aspects from an IR perspective.
Who should attend
This course is aimed at new and experienced IR professionals who are looking to expand their knowledge of, and engagement with, the broader communications environment.
No knowledge of PR is required.
What will I gain?
- Practical insights into how PR works and the key stakeholders
- An understanding of the impacts of PR on IR and the areas where they need to coordinate
- The knowledge to identify different types of PR stories to assess their implications for IR
Course tutor: Lorraine Rees
Lorraine established IR-connect as a new investor relations consultancy in 2015. Prior to that she had been IR Director at Standard Life plc, Head of IR at The Phoenix Group, and an equity analyst at Exane BNP Paribas. She originally trained as a chartered accountant, and has also worked in strategy, corporate finance and banking.
Course tutor: Ann Wright
Ann has a wide variety of commercial experience in both newspapers and at the BBC, and now runs a PR consultancy and training company. As a result she is able to provide a comprehensive introduction to the world of PR covering both routine day-to-day operations as well as more challenging scenarios like handling bad news and crisis communications, using real-life examples. Working with Lorraine, an experienced IR Director and former equity analyst, they are able to combine this into a practical IR course providing IROs with the knowledge and tools to work effectively with their communications colleagues and PR advisors.
- Opening discussion
- Question – can you identify a scenario where you have seen a media story have a significant impact on the market?
- Overview of the PR world
- Principles of PR – what it is, and what it means for investor relations
- Practical aspects
- How to identify and build good PR stories
- Pro-active PR and IR alignment
- IR, PR and crisis management
- Wrap up