FTSE 100 – Real Estate - Head of Investor Relations
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer - with significant exposure to the CEO & the Executive Team
Location: Central London
Our client is one of Europe’s largest FTSE100 listed real estate investment companies and has £13.3bn of assets under management. The IR function is already well regarded in the investment community and one of the best of the UK REITs. The aspiration is for the team to continue to be best in class for FTSE 100 and Global REITs.
Role purpose and profile
The role of the Head of Investor Relations ('IR') is critical to the success of the Company in achieving its objective of delivering sustainable long-term value for all stakeholders, and particularly its shareholders. The primary responsibility of the role is to ensure that both existing and prospective investors and sell-side analysts who cover the Company have a clear understanding of the Company’s strategy, actions, performance and prospects.
The Head of IR reports to the CFO, with whom they will work closely to manage and develop the company’s relationship with the investment community. The Head of IR works closely with the CEO, COO, Head of Real Estate and other Exco members. The team the role will manage comprises: An IR & Corporate Sustainability Lead, IR Manager and IR Programme Manager. The role will join our client’s Leadership Team which is a sub exco group of leaders from across the business, as well as the Finance Leadership team
The Head of IR also needs to continue to develop ESG guidelines and to develop good working relationships with senior executives across the business, the Corporate Communications Team, the Finance Team and the Strategy & Investment Team.
The leadership team recognise the important role that investor relations plays and the influence and exposure it receives within the financial capital markets. Our client will use this opportunity to help to continue to strengthen its investor relations output by looking externally for a candidate who has the confidence, financial credibility, energy and the deep market experience to oversee a highly regarded investor relations programme.
The successful candidate needs to have experience of investor relations or have a significant background in the financial capital markets; be career minded and a team player who will have the confidence to be a senior trusted adviser to both the CFO and the CEO and the rest of the senior management team. In addition, this individual needs to have an innate awareness of the fundamentals, nuances and intricacies of the global financial capital markets.
Above all, this individual needs to be adaptable and thrive in a fast paced and agile environment, so a can-do attitude is critical.
Investors / Analysts Engagement
- Actively manage engagement with existing investors and identified prospective investors through a structured targeting programme which makes best use of resources, particularly senior management time.
- Respond promptly to queries from investors and analysts providing insightful answers which evidence understanding of thought processes underlying the question.
- Design and execute an investor engagement programme incorporating ESG, roadshows, conferences, investor events and direct meetings, which optimises investor coverage within resource constraints. Oversee all logistics, briefings and preparation of materials.
- Attend investor and analyst meetings, either in support of CEO, CFO or other Directors, or leading investor engagement.
- Manage broker and other IR advisor relationships to draw on expert advice and intelligence.
External Communications – Results, Presentations and Annual Report
- Deliver full year and half year results presentations, press release and supporting materials, as well as trading updates and AGM materials. Ensure that CEO & CFO materials clearly convey strategy, performance and prospects.
- Oversee the production of the annual report which clearly articulates company strategy, performance and prospects whilst fulfilling all regulatory and best practice requirements.
- Collaborate with the Corporate Communications to maintain the website which is aligned with other messaging.
- Collaborate with Corporate Communications and marketing teams to ensure the Group’s external and internal communications efforts are aligned and support the Group’s strategy
Internal Communications – Exco, Board
- Provide insightful updates to inform the Board and Exco on:
- The reaction to results and major events
- Perceptions and concerns of investors
- Share performance
- Share ownership and trading
- Competitor performance, strategic decisions and transactions
- ESG initiatives and issues
- Represent the views of the investor community within the Company in setting strategy and on transactions.
Consensus / Regulatory
- Maintain analyst consensus and understand the key factors underlying different analysts’ estimates and take appropriate action if misaligned with our client’s expectations.
- With Company Secretariat and advisors ensure that the Company complies with reporting and regulatory requirements.
- Monitor share price performance and, through relationships with brokers and understanding of the market, evaluate underlying drivers of both absolute and relative performance.
- Ability to understand and communicate the company's strategy, financial position and performance
- Outstanding analytical skills to understand the company’s financial results, complex transactions, stock market and economic data, and the ability to interpret the information for the investment community, as well as for senior management
- Ability to develop relationships and inspire confidence, trust and respect from internal and external contacts; excellent communication skills to initiate and maintain open dialogue with them.
- Exhibit excellent judgmental skills regarding people and information
- Strong leadership and management skills; able to inspire others and encourage collaboration
- Existing experience of FTSE 100 IR excellence and operating experience to Real Estate sector experience
- Ability to produce and deliver presentations which succinctly and consistently communicate high level themes, but with detailed knowledge and understanding to drill down based on investor interest and questioning
- Highly motivated and creative individual with proven record of identifying market trends and ability to think strategically and innovatively to continuously challenge the perception of those factors that impact share valuation
- Strong commercial acumen, with a good understanding of the property sector and finance
- Able to manage a portfolio of responsibilities, prioritise and meet tight deadlines including during peaks of activity at results periods and key investor events; available to travel on an international basis as required
And, ultimately, working with the CFO and other senior finance leaders to run and manage the finance function.
Education, Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant degree and / or post graduate financial qualification
- 10+ years of relevant experience that provides a strong foundation for Investor Relations in the UK. Can include one or a combination:
- corporate experience in Investor Relations
- investment banking, such as sell-side analyst or corporate broking
- Big 4 and ACA experience
- Proven track record of IR
- Experience or at least good knowledge of UK capital markets, US and European investors
- Strong communications skills both written and oral. A good storyteller, professional and diplomatic
- Ability to generate credibility with the Board and external stakeholders
- Strong analytical and financial skills. Ability to interpret internal financial models and forecasts. Good understanding of valuation and ability to discuss financial models with equity analysts.
- Ability to influence both internally and externally
- Energy for change, keen to learn and a self-starter
- Strong project management skills
- Strategic mindset but also able to work on the detail
- Down to earth and able to roll up their sleeves
- In-depth understanding of the real estate industry
- M&A experience – transaction, due diligence and/or post-merger integration
- Project management
- Financial modelling
Key behavioural competencies
- Ambition to drive improvement, personal progression, and the development of people within the broader business
- Absolute professional integrity
- Ability to operate independently as well as work well with other internal disciplines, such as CoSec, sector/regional teams and Group Finance.
- Attention to detail, diligence, and analytical thoroughness
- Sets direction and builds alignment. Ability to engage effectively with the most senior levels of the organisation
- Uses diplomacy and tact, balanced with a sense of urgency to move projects and decisions forward
- Encourages open discussion of different ideas and views; welcomes and solicits feedback
- Demonstrates, builds, and sustains a partnership mentality; relationship oriented and invested in maintaining and growing partnerships
There are significant opportunities to market to a global investor base and travel within both the UK and internationally would take up part of this role.
Date posted: 2 February, 2022
If you believe your experience and background matches this brief then please send an introdutory email with your CV attached to email@example.com quoting reference number AJFB-302268. If you do not hear back from the research team then please assume your background does not match our client’s needs and expectations. Nevertheless, as Broome Yasar Partnership works on a considerable number of mandates throughout the year we may indeed contact you for another role.
Broome Yasar Partnership is regarded as the leading global investor relations and corporate affairs executive recruiter. All our Partners have had direct and considerable experience of the coal face of investor relations and corporate communications, through their work prior to executive recruitment. For further information please go to www.broomeyasar.com