Introduction to IR and the financial markets
This course provides an introduction to IR and the financial environment in which IR professionals work. It explains how the financial markets operate and are regulated. A Q&A session with an IR professional provides an invaluable opportunity to clarify any practical areas of particular interest to the participants.
What will I gain?
Anyone working in investor relations, corporate communications and financial PR who is new to the financial world. It will also benefit anyone who is new to their role or to handling financial communications and does not have a financial background.
Really useful training. Interesting topics and some clear explanations, delivered by an excellent and very engaging trainer! With little knowledge on the subject, the course certainly achieved its aim for me. I found it inspiring and feel that it has given me a good understanding of the topic.
Very well organised - great trainer. Considering future courses on the back of this one!
Extremely informative and incredibly interesting. Really solidified my very fledgling knowledge.
Course tutor: Deborah Morton-Dare
Deborah specialises in financial training for all levels from beginners to advanced. She presents a comprehensive range of courses to a diverse range of corporate clients and financial institutions and specialises in making complex technical subjects comprehensible.
Deborah qualified as a Chartered Accountant with Arthur Young and then worked in Corporate Finance gaining wide ranging experience in a variety of corporate and financial institutions. She then worked as a financial consultant to companies assisting them in raising finance and structuring.
Guest speaker: Andrew Gillian
Andrew joined Sky’s IR team in December 2015. Prior to this Andrew trained as a management accountant on Lloyds Banking Group’s finance graduate scheme. He then spent three years in Lloyds’ IR team, where he was promoted to Senior Manager, and then 18 months at TSB, where he helped establish its IR function from IPO. In 2015 Andrew was selected for Deliver, an IR Society programme for senior IROs who aspire to be future business leaders. Andrew is an accredited chartered management accountant (CIMA) and a CFA charter holder.
- What is IR
- How does IR interact with financial markets
- What is IR trying to achieve:
- Managing expectations
- Identifying target audiences
- What are the outcomes of successful IR
- What is a limited company and how does this affect the role of IR
- Shares and shareholders
- Debt and equity
- Directors and board structure
- How are companies regulated
- The reporting calendar and disclosure requirements
- UK Corporate Governance Code
- What are they and how do they work
- Key participants, what are their requirements, how do they interact
- How are they regulated
- Advisors and professional services
- Understanding the financial jargon
- What is the role of a stock exchange
- London Stock Exchange
- How does it work
- Market statistics
- Stockbrokers & securities houses
- International stock exchanges and other markets
Equity Investors and Investment Principles
- What does it mean to be a shareholder
- Private investors
- Institutional investors
- Fund managers and their requirements
- Role of analysts
- Shareholder identification
- Other forms of funding: Debt, Private Equity, Sovereign wealth funds
Role of IR
- A practical Q&A session with an IR professional
Summary and Conclusion