A Non-Expert’s Guide to Key Financial Terms
This half-day course is designed for those without a financial background and provides a grounding in the financial terms most commonly used in press releases, investor discussions and equity research notes.
This course is offered in conjunction with ‘Consensus: A Best Practice Guide’, for which it provides an ideal introduction.
Who should attend?
This course aims to build a basic level of financial literacy by providing non-technical explanations, straightforward examples and the opportunity to practice simple calculations and analysis within a supportive environment. Delegates will learn how to use a company’s financial statements to analyse its performance over time and compared with competitors. They will then apply this knowledge to simplified, real-life examples. Finally, a sell-side analyst will explain how these same techniques are applied to create company forecasts, used in consensus calculations.
It will be of particular benefit to IR and Communications team members who do not have a financial background. It will also be helpful for service providers who engage with IR teams and want to better understand some of the language used.
What will I gain?
- Greater confidence in understanding and using financial information
- A non-technical understanding of:
- The key financial statements: Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
- The most commonly used financial figures and ratios which analysts and investors typically focus on when analysing a company
- What the terms mean, why they matter, what they are used for and how they might differ across industries
- An overview of how analysts and investors use these figures to forecast a company’s results into the future, and how an earnings consensus for a company is developed.
This course is offered in conjunction with ‘Consensus: A Best Practice Guide’, for which it provides an ideal introduction. The two half-day courses can be booked together with a 25% discount. Both courses take place on the same day.
When and where is this course running?
A Non-Expert's Guide to Key Financial Terms is running on the below dates. If you cannot attend any of the below training dates or your preferred modality is not yet scheduled, please do 'Register Interest' in the course.
Course 1: In-Person, City of London
- Thursday, 22 June 2023 (09:30 - 13:00)
Course 2: Online, via Zoom
- Thursday, 30 November 2023 (09:30 - 13:00)